Thursday, September 29, 2011

Soup, Soup, Soup - Minestrone

Minestrone Soup is one of my favorites because it always reminds me of home and my mom's homemade bread.  Almost every time my mom made this soup, she also made bread.  Nothing is better than homemade soup and fresh bread.  Okay, actually, nothing is better than fresh, warm bread.  Ahh, I miss those days . . . but, at least I can still enjoy the soup.  My mom's recipe requires multiple hours - cooking and adding ingredients at various stages; I found that the recipe turns out just as yummy when done in the crock pot, which makes it super convenient.  I love crock pot recipes.  Hope you enjoy this one.


Minestrone Soup
Ingredients
1 lb hamburger or stew meat
1/2 onion, diced
4 Stalks of celery, diced
2 Cans stewed tomato, or equivalent of home-canned tomatoes
2 Cans water
1 cube or tsp beef bouillon
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp basil, dried
3-4 Large carrots, cut into pieces
2-3 potatoes, cubed
1/4 C. Rice
Brown hamburger; add onion and celery - saute.  In crock pot, add all ingredients - except for rice - cook on low 6-8 hours,  Add rice the last 30 minutes.
Serves: 4-6

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I'm trying this tonight! Thanks for the recipe.