As the Fall season approaches, my friend, Brenda, encouraged her blog readers to share their favorite soup recipes. I am obliging her with not only one, but three soup recipes . . . on 3 different posts. However, my disclaimer is that these will not be one of those cool blogs with step-by-step pictures. They will simply contain the recipe, with a few of my comments thrown in for good taste.
Although my first soup recipe is not a "fall favorite", it's great for this time of year when tomatoes and cucumbers are abundant. This soup recipe comes from Spain, which I got on my trip to Spain many years ago. I usually only make this soup once a year, and typically wait until the tomatoes, etc. are in season, for optimal flavor, but you could make this soup any time of year, or for a cool, themed dinner party . . . which has always been my plan, but I have yet to throw a cool, themed dinner party. So, without further ado, I present "Gazpacho". Enjoy!
Ingredients
1 3/4 lbs tomatoes
1 tomato, chopped fine - Garnish
1 1/2 red bell peppers
1/2 - 1 red bell pepper, chopped fine - Garnish
1 Cucumber
1 cucumber, chopped fine - Garnish
1 Clove of garlic
1/2 tsp whole cumin
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
1/3 - 1/2 C. dry white bread, crust removed, crumbled
1 c. + olive oil
Water
Salt
Instructions: Clean and chop all vegetables, then place them in a bowl (except the 3 for garnish), along with the cumin, vinegar, olive oil and bread. Cover with water, add salt to taste and let sit for a few hours in the refrigerator. Place ingredients in a blender and liquify. Strain. Add more water if necessary and taste for salt. Let soup chill in fridge for at least 30 min. prior to serving. Serve very cold with the remaining garnish ingredients. Serves 5. Goes great as a side with fish or chicken.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh, thanks for posting! Tell me, do you think another type of vinegar would do? I have red wine vinegar, rice vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and regular vinegar. I do hate to buy another one, so I am hoping a substitute might work.
Brenda: I used red wine vinegar and it tastes great :)
Post a Comment