Every year it was the same. Flag raising and pancake breakfast at the city park, hosted by the Lion's Club. Then cutting flowers around the yard to put on graves. Next we headed to the cemetery to put the flowers on the headstones and to hear stories of our relatives. And the rest of the day was spent picnicking with our cousins, grandma, and great uncle.
Every year at this time I realize how much I miss those days . . . and I'm jealous of my brother and Kat who live close enough to be able to continue the tradition.
Thanks for the memories.
3 comments:
Memorial Day memories are ones I hold very close to my heart.
Mom taught all six of us to go and visit the cemetary for our military family as well as our non-military family. It wasn't just about those who served on this day for Momma, it was about remembering those who we have loved and lost.
We would start the day by cutting flowers from around the yard and filling coffee cans or milk jugs or whatever we had with dirt so that that the flowers wouldn't tip over in the Portland spring winds.
We'd go to Willamette National Cemetary and watch the flag raising and here the Marine Corp band. We'd travel the city and visit every grave we knew we should and then we would end our adventure with lunch at a Portland standard like Yaw's or Stanich's or Rose's.
Joe and I visited his family today in an effort to create our own memories. It was a blessed day.
Thanks for the stroll down memory lane, Sharon :)
PS...The picture on the face of your blog is priceless. I just love it.
I'm so glad I share the memories with you. I hope I've been teaching my children the same things. It's sort of hard sometimes knowing what they are really learning. we have sort of a tradition with the Fullmer side too, visiting the Alpine, Santaquin, and Spring City cemeteries too. I think the best part is the stories. I wish I would have realized that sooner.
I really miss the cutting the flowers around the yard. Not nearly so meaningful to me to buy potted mums that look half dead. By the way I waved at Paul and made your Mom cry today. :)
Post a Comment