Wednesday, May 18, 2011

War Zone

     We live less than 10-miles from the outskirts of a military base.  When we first moved here 6+ months ago, I couldn't figure out what all the banging was.  Then it dawned on me that it was artillery that I could hear.
     Ken didn't believe me that I could hear it from where we live . . . until last night.
     Starting about 8pm last night, the explosions started.  Thank goodness they stopped around 10pm, but they started up again this morning at 6am.  6AM - really?  Apparently preparing for war knows no courtesy.
     Every time I hear the "bombs bursting in air" I can't help but think how scary it must be to live in a real war zone.

2 comments:

Kat said...

I know how loud it can be, I used to feel that way about the airplanes that seemed to be dive bombing my house from Hill AFB. BUT, then 911 happened and the planes sat quiet, eerily quiet for several days. Now I prefer to think of them as the sounds of freedom. And it actually makes me smile when I have to pause a conversation to allow a jet to pass.

Brenda said...

I was strange moving to our new house and not hearing the jets all day long. One day you might miss all that artillery fire!