Upon Ken's suggestion, I've been reading a book titled, "Death by Supermarket" by Nancy Deville. It's rather depressing - if you like eating. The author's purpose is to explain why people have so many health issues, by blaming it on the additives in foods that have been processed in a factory (and even things like meat, milk, and eggs). Additives like high fructose corn syrup, soy, artificial Omega 3 . . . and the list goes on and on.
I'm pretty moderate in most things. I'm not obsessive or even concerned about eating all organic. Most of the time I give little thought to where my food comes from. I don't eat a lot of junk food, or box mixes, or processed foods, but neither do I avoid these things if a recipe (or my cravings) calls for it.
In the meantime, completely unrelated to reading the book, Ken and I have been researching buying our vegetables from a local farm (I think in some areas it's similar to "Bountiful Basket"?). It sounds great for multiple reasons: supporting the local economy, knowing where the food is coming from, getting it fresh and ripe, and getting a variety of vegetables without having to plant a huge garden.
On the other hand, it does have its drawbacks. The cost is more than what we would pay in the store - but the quality will surely be worth the extra cost. The other drawback is that for someone who likes to plan meals in advance, I'll have to wait for the food to arrive before I can plan my meals around what we received. Oh, and then there is the high likelihood that we'll have to spend more money to buy fruit and vegetables to supplement what the delivery doesn't include.
All in all, Ken and I decided it was worth it and have decided to give it a try this summer.
But then after reading the "Death" book, I feel an increased interest to buy our meat, milk, and eggs from a local farmer as well. The only problem? Money. We can only spend so much money on food, and right now, I don't think we can afford it. Who could afford $5/lb chicken or $5 for a gallon of milk? I've said it before and I'll say it again - eating healthy costs a lot more money than eating poorly.
Maybe, instead of getting that pig that Ken keeps dreaming about, perhaps we'll get us some chickens and a cow. We've got a big back yard . . . that will work, right? :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment