Thursday, September 17, 2009

Travel pet peeves

While on my travels back and forth to Portland, I re-discovered pet peeves I have of traveling, especially relating to air travel. In no particular order:

* Loud talkers - This is especially annoying on the airplane, as you're in a tight space with no where to go.

* Expensive airport food - Again, there is no where else to go, so it's either pay $8 for a yogurt parfait or starve. I was shocked to find that a fruit cup at Portland's airport Starbucks was actually more expensive than LAX's airport Starbucks. The only thing I could figure was that the fruit came from California, and was therefore cheaper?

* Delayed flights - This one isn't so bad when you're traveling with someone else, but when you're on your own, it's a bummer because you have no one to talk to and no one to watch your luggage while you use the bathroom or want to take a short walk.

* Cell phone users - I don't mind cell phone users in general - I am one, after all. However, it always makes me wonder what is so important that people have to pull out their cell phones the minute it is okay to do so when the plane lands. Even if you've got someone waiting in the "cell phone waiting zone", they'll still have plenty of time to get to the curb if you call them from inside the airport terminal, rather than from the airplane.

There is 1 perk of traveling and being stuck in an airport for endless hours, and that would be People Watching. I love to watch people, and due to "loud talkers", you often don't have to wonder what kind of person they are - you can usually find out just by being in the same general area.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally! I experienced something similar the other day...after one conversation with this new girl at my school and I can tell a lot about her from just that conversation...sadly, (for her) she's not in my good books.

Kat said...

The people watcher comment made me smile. :) I remember your Mom people watching at the Smithsonian.

Brenda said...

Ditto about the pet peeves.