Saturday, September 26, 2009

Repeat Occurrences

A month or so ago, I wrote about the lack of courtesy of my neighbor's (Larry) friends; see post. Well, last night it happened again. The friend comes over, and starts talking to Larry from the sidewalk, rather than walking 20 yards to his door. I immediately decide I have to say something; I can't let this inconsiderate act continue. But in those split seconds, I wonder what I can say. What would be appropriate? What I really want to say is "Please be quiet" or "can't you walk up the stairs to his door?" or "shut up". But can I/ should I really say that?

Right then, the friend says "hey, where are we going to eat dinner tonight?" and I, from inside my house, say "I don't know, where do you want to go?". It catches the guy off guard. He looked embarrassed for half a second. And then he just continues talking to Larry as if nothing had happened. At first I was shocked that he continued, when he obviously realized that I could hear every word. But later when I was telling Ken about it, Ken said the guy probably just thought I was joking. Yeah - Ken was probably right. I should have been more direct. I should have said what I really wanted to say. I'm thinking I may have another opportunity before winter comes, (when the behavior stops), and if I do, I'm going to be direct and honest . . . I think!

4 comments:

Brenda said...

This totally made me LAUGH! I could just see him looking your direction in a state of complete bewilderment. Good job on entertaining us, and good luck with stopping the problem for good!

Kat said...

Man they should have at least invited you to dinner. Dorks.

Kat said...

P.S. I love your new header picture. That is frame-worthy!

The Barb Chronicles said...

keep a swarm of bees in a jar... then let them go everytime they do that... that will teach them! Dang neighbors!