1 C. Karo Syrup
1 C. sugar
1 C. almond butter, sunbutter, peanut butter (creamy or smooth)
(I used almond butter)
The recipe calls for a total of 8 C dry ingredients. Following is what I used:
4 C. oats (I used quick oats)
2 C. rice krispies (or your preferred cereal)
1 C. sunflower seeds (I used roasted, but not salted) My sister used flax seed, but I couldn't find any. Or you could use chopped nuts, or more oats/cereal.
1/2 C. mini choc. chips (or mini M&M's) (the choc. chips melted when I stirred in the sugar mixture, which again made me think I had got the sugar mixture too warm, but I think I prefer it melted, because then Amelia can't pick out the choc. chips)
1/2 C. raisins, chopped (or other dried fruit)
1/4 C. shredded coconut (I'm not a big fan of coconut, but this small amount just added sweetness without too much coconut flavor)
In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients; set aside.
In a small pan, heat and mix the Karo syrup and sugar until well-blended. Add almond butter and mix. When well blended, pour over the dry ingredients and mix well. (I had a really hard time mixing it; not sure if I over-warmed the Karo syrup mixture?) When well blended, pour into a greased cookie sheet; press mixture into pan and let cool. When cool, cut into bars. (I got over 24 bars.) Wrap in foil. Refrigerate and/or freeze to keep fresh.
(Not a great picture, but you get the idea.)
2 comments:
Thank you so much! I can't wait to try them. I think I have most of the ingredients already.
I am going to do this too. Thanks
Post a Comment