Friday, June 24, 2011

The Name Game

     I've been meaning to blog about it, and just haven't gotten around to it, but Kat's comment the other day has motivated me to get on it.
     When I was pregnant with Amelia, Ken and I called her Wazel (rhymes with Hazel).  We had picked out a name, but didn't want to share it with anyone until she was born, so we called her Wazel (hopefully you faithful readers remember why . . . I have no energy for repeating our reasoning).
     So what are we calling this baby?  Just about anything.  But mostly it's a repeat of Wazel, or Squeaker #2, or "the baby".  Boring, huh?
     But the real problem comes with the baby's real name.  Ken and I can't agree on the ones we like (although we're pretty unanimous about the ones we don't like).  And the names we do agree on, don't go well with Schnell . . . like Sophie or Isabella . . . can't start with "s" or have too many "l's".  Or maybe they sound too much like Amelia . . . and I wouldn't want people thinking they were twins or that we were really stuck on names that ended with "ia".
     Ken likes original names while I'm partial to something more old-fashioned.  For those of you done naming your children, or perhaps like a name you couldn't use, does anyone have any suggestions? 

5 comments:

Amber said...

you got me. i think naming babies is so hard. good luck though!

Brenda said...

I loved the came Caroline but Dave didn't. We settled on Abby (not Abigail), although we had a last-minute tug-of-war about her middle name as we sat in the hospital with the paperwork in front of us.

Kat said...

I love Olivia, Jenna, Jill (hate Jillian though so that's probably why we don't have one as I felt like we needed a mult syllable first name to go with the one syllable last name.)

I do understand the names that are too alike. We've gotten A LOT of of comments about Sierra and Savanna, but you know, I wouldn't change a thing going back, so go with what you love.

Coleman Family said...

How about Tessa Schnell? Or Abigail, or Brooke or Lyla? I think Lyla Schnell is adorable!

Sarah said...

We almost used the name Savannah, but grandma Irish didn't like it--she thought it sounded like a cigar. :)