Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Stats & Notes

Amelia had her 1-year well-baby checkup. She weighed in at a hefty 18 lbs. and measured 28 3/4 inches long. Average for height, but still only less than 10% for weight.

I knew Amelia wouldn't be going front-facing in her car-seat at 1-year, but the Dr. said that WA's recommendations are that a child stays rear-facing until they're 2-years old. I said, "wouldn't that make their legs be cramped/ bent against the seat?". To which the Dr. replied, "well, I guess the safety board thinks that broken legs are better than broken necks in case of an accident." Strange.

Amelia may be small, but developmentally, she's right on track. I think the only issue she may be experiencing is her inability to feed herself - even crackers, etc. She picks up crackers just fine, but then doesn't seem interested in putting them in her mouth. I also haven't encouraged much more than crackers in her hands because the thought of sticky food everywhere just about puts me over the edge. Looks like I need to get over my cleanliness issue in order to foster her growth. Any suggestions on good finger foods to start with . . . and keep in mind - she still has no teeth.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Letting a kid learn to self feed is hard because it is so messy. It usually entails a bath after (just plan on it) and a good high chair clean up (again, just plan on it.)


Favorite finger foods in our house were these: tiny cheese cubes, grapes cut small, beans (canned and rinsed), frozen peas (or mixed veggies), and any cut fruit.

When she's read to learn to eat with a spoon, make sure to begin with foods that stick onto the spoon: applesauce, mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, etc.

Good luck! You'll make it!

kmmclain said...

My girls were both in the small category for weight at 1 year. Some great finger foods for us were the puff stars in the fruit flavors that you buy in the baby food aisle. I'd break them in half to get them started, till they were comfortable with the whole ones. They melt in their mouth, so the choking hazard is small. My kids also liked the biscuits and the zeibach toast.
Great foods for on the go too.
Banana is also good, especially if you mash it up a lot.
Good luck! She'll catch up.

Amber said...

I have heard that they are wanting kids to stay rear facing until 2 years old. I can't imagine Kylee in a rear facing car seat. If we ever went anywhere I would think that we would have a screaming nightmare in the back seat.

My advice, let her get dirty! And then she will get used to being cleaned up. Kylee wipes her face and hands herself, and my attempts to keep her clean has made her a clean freak too. I gave her little bites of everything I was eating. Oh and you will love it once she can feed herself.

Tiffany said...

Bananas! Dice them up small so she can pick them up and not choke. You don't need teeth to mash bananas!