Which brings me to my second point. And I ask this from a naive, ignorant point of view - not meaning to offend - but what do stay-at-home moms do all day? I've had a lot of time to think about this lately, and I'm wondering how I will feel productive at all - and maybe I won't. I'm expecting a lot of baby "maintenance" in the first few months, as I try to figure out how to take care of Wazel, but then everyone gets into a routine, of sorts, and then what? When they get older and/or more children come along, then I definitely see more busy-ness, more stuff going on, but what about the here and now?
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
What do you do?
First off, in this case, no news is NOT good news. A day over my due date and still no baby. Yes, I realize that a majority of first babies are late. And yes, I realize at this point I'm only 1 day over due. But no one told me that I would be so uncomfortable at this point - and I don't think I've had more than a handful of "real" contractions yet. And I'm trying to be patient, but I'm running out of things to do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I wondered that as well. Sleep when your baby sleeps so you not always tired - that will change though after the second. Scrap booking or other hobbies are good. Spend your husbands money!(lol). Get projrcts done or start new ones, read a good book.
Sleep. After the first couple of days, you will probably experience an adrenaline boost and think you are all healed and ready to do everything, but I would encourage you to continue to rest for the first 2 weeks. Sleep when the baby sleeps. PPD usually kicks in if it does, during those first couple of weeks. Mostly because you are exhausted, and your body is trying to rebalance your hormones.
Nursing is hard, so prepare yourself to take your time, and relax.
When all of that isn't going on, you will be trying to catch up on the laundry with all of the dirty clothes for the new little one. :)
Each stage has its demands and its perks.I agree with the other two comments that sleeping while baby sleeps is essential, because the tiredness is going to compound as the night feedings drag on for 3 months or longer. But this stage WILL end. Promise.
I think that connecting with other moms/ladies is essential, especially as Wazel approaches the toddler stage. Kat and I spent HOURS at the park together with our little kids.
Finding a friend who also has a baby/small child who wants to walk/talk daily will help. Even babies like to get out.
Try to find time for something that interests you that you can do without the baby. I went to grad school at nights and I found it helpful to have things to read and concepts to think about as I was doing my mommy job in the daytime. I enjoyed having adult conversations that didn't include kid stuff. Other moms I know have various hobbies and budget money so they can participate in them.
Once your kid starts making messes and having meltdowns, she'll keep you plenty busy! So, enjoy the snuggly phase while it lasts!
Oh, and one more thing .... you will have plenty of moments in which you will not feel productive. I found it hard to work, work, work and not be able to identify anything that really got DONE. It's not an office job. But a sense of accomplishment comes at random times as the children grow and develop and you begin to see how all the work (as incomplete as it may seem) is creating your family.
Funny my FIRST thought was exactly what Brenda said. It is great to spend time building 'networks' Mommy networks. At first they may be sanity savers but they will morph into reciprocal babysitters, carpoolers, question answerers. It is true I think that at first things can seem tedious and there is just only so much one can do at home, but time starts to fly and you will soon have kid play dates, 'walking partners',book group buddies, etc. Definitely take time to explore a hobby or start a new one. Productivity and the measure of it definitely changes. You will likely not see the results of the hard work you put in as a Mom for sometime. You may also change your idea of 'what' work is. I mean before scrapbooking, may have been a release from work, but it might change to something a bit different. Thinking beyond your enjoyment of it to passing down important family moments to your kid and grandkids. That is one way I can totally justify my blogging. ;)The work you will do will be different and the rewards more random...like a hug, the first word, step, smile or coo but they are priceless.
I knew that you would get board. And those newer babies don't take much maintanence. They sleep almost 20 hours a day when they are not eating. So don't expect a whole lot to do right at first.
Sharon. Have you not seen a pregnant lady close to her due date? Did you think that they were comfortable? Did someone really have to tell you that they weren't? I went 2 days over due with Kylee. It is not fun. Try so hard to stay patient.
Go on long walks. Get in the pool. Get a pedicure. Get a massage. Enjoy YOUR time, because you don't have much left. Go to the library and get a handful of books to read while the baby is sleeping. Rent movies. Go serve someone. Make cookies/brownies. Cook and freeze a bunch of meals so you don't have to worry about it. (I wish that we would have done that.) Don't just sit there because you will go crazy.
I'm not a stay at home mom type either. I get board. Work helps me appriciate my family, and it brings in money. It is very productive. But so is being a mother. Can't wait to meet her and see you guys again!
Post a Comment