Saturday, November 14, 2009

Training my Replacement

I've been at my job for a little over 2 years. The first 9 months were painfully boring, and I wondered many times if I had taken the right job. Eventually my job responsibilities changed, and for the last year or so, I have enjoyed what I do. I might even be a bit proud of all that I accomplish. 4 months ago, I told my employers that I was pregnant, and in effect, gave them my 9-month's notice. It seems surreal - I've worked for 15 years, and now the end is in sight.

So, now that I've given y'all some background information, I'll proceed with the rest of the story. My boss thought that it would be a good idea to hire my replacement now, get them trained, and then assign me to a different set of tasks and responsibilities, for the remainder of my months until I have the baby. Which in effect means I will most likely spend the last few months of my job exactly how I started it - bored out of my mind. But I digress. My replacement started two weeks ago. He'll be doing a bit more accounting tasks than I was, but he'll need to know everything I did in that department. He seems like a nice guy, but I thought I was going to either kill myself and/or him in the training process because he was so slow at accomplishing a task. I discovered that he learns better reading instructions rather than listening and taking notes. So the next week, I spent my training time writing detailed notes for tasks that I do. It seemed time consuming, but it allowed me to actually accomplish more without having to spend so much one-on-one time with the new guy, and I think it may have been better for him as well. I guess we'll see.

Now the kicker - I can't wait to stop working, but I'm having a hard time giving up my projects and assignments to the new guy. It was much easier when I left Portland, because I wasn't going to be around to watch how my replacement there handled things. But now, I'm going to be around for a few more months and will be there to see the projects fail and/or succeed. Hopefully they succeed, but I'm afraid to watch ;)

1 comment:

Kat said...

Ack Train wreck! Don't want to look but can't quit watching. :) I think you should think up your own project for the next 3 months.