Saturday, August 15, 2009

Limericks

My dad loves limericks. At one time, my dad worked as a Safety Hazard Analysist. He discovered a hazard at work, regarding a vacuum cleaner and made up this limerick to warn others of the hazard.

There was a technician named Bill
Who sucked up a flammable spill.
The static excited,
The vapor ignited,
and Bill is now in the hill.

My friends Kathryn and Mike used to leave "Deep Thoughts" on our message board at our house when they came to visit. So my dad made up a limerick about deep thoughts.

There was a man of deep thought.
The cells of his brain he wrought.
So deep did he think,
His brain did shrink,
So what he thought he forgot.

And my dad has passed on his love of limericks to me and my siblings. One year when most of us were home for Christmas, we came up with a new message for our parent's answering machine.

The Thornleys can't come to the phone.
Perhaps they're not at home.
They wish to receive,
The message you leave,
So start speaking right after the tone.

The other day I decided to try my hand at writing a limerick, and this is what I came up with.

There once was a town in A-Z,
Where living was quaint and easy.
Ken is almost through school,
Sharon has a job - and that's cool,
And now they're expecting a baby*.




*Editor's note - The baby is due Mar. 2

12 comments:

kmmclain said...

I am so happy for you! I was wondering if that is why you were unable to hike. I'll let my mom know. She will be so excited for you.
I hope your pregnancy goes well and is pretty calm for all of you!

Brenda said...

First of all--- Congrats on the pending arrival! This is VERY exciting news!

Second-- I just love your dad and his propensity to limerick. Stinkin' awesome!

Kat said...

YEAH!!! :) I'm so glad the cat's out of the bag. :) All my family sends their congratulations. It was fun to see your parents and how excited they are for you as well.

andy pav said...

you are so funny! and creative. we are so excited for you guys, and that is it in a nut-Schnell.

Tiffany said...

Hoo-ray for the family of Schnell.
Having a kid is just swell!
We wish you the best
and get lots of rest.
And YES, those diapers will smell!

Congrats guys! Couldn't be happier for you.

Vixie said...

So creative you are!! Congratulations, very exciting.

Becky said...

WOW How Exciting Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

1. Ha ha ha...great limericks.
2. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
3. So...are you still thinking about "Wally Nut" and "Cash U. Nut" as names?

Tera said...

Your news totally made my day! Congrats! I am so excited that you will be able to put all those projects you worked on for children to work, they are going to be one lucky kid.

Nancy said...

WOW! That is so cool. I'm very, very excited for you. I'll remind my kids to go easy on you when you come. Thanks again.

Janell said...

Fantastic news, Sha!! :-)

The Morriss Family said...

Hooray for the Schnells! How exciting! I hope that you feel well and get lots of rest. That first trimester can be rough but you are tougher so you'll be just fine. Congratulations!!!!