Friday, August 28, 2009

Neighbors

I've always wanted to be the type of neighbor that welcomes move-ins into the neighborhood with a fresh batch of cookies . . . but, alas, I am not that type of neighbor. The condos around us are finally starting to sell, and we've had quite a few neighbors move in. I made Ken come with me to meet the first set - Jon and Ann ( I can never get their names straight though - I always call them Jan and Bob - but at least we don't see them often enough for me to make this mistake to them in person.)

Then we had neighbors move in next door - but I had just started getting sick, and I barely felt inclined to talk to people I knew, let alone be overly-friendly and meet the new neighbors next door. So instead of meeting the neighbors, Ken and I sit at home and try to figure out their story. What do they do for work? Who REALLY lives in the condo? It's taken us a few months, but we have guessed that our next door neighbor works nights, presumably at the hospital, and lives by herself, but frequently has friends over. Now that I think about it, it's probably pretty creepy that we have "guessed" that much about her, without meeting her. I'd really like to formally meet her, but how do you introduce yourself to someone you've seen come/go for 3 months? Any ideas?

We have other neighbors too. There is the family in the next building over that has matching cars - not just the same make, but same model AND same color - weird! Then there is the "group" of people in the 3-bedroom condo on the other side of us. I have yet to figure out who REALLY lives there, but at least one of the "visitors" is a police officer on the K-9 unit (unless he got the shirt at Goodwill or something). Ya know, I think Ken and I might be disappointed when we actually "meet" our neighbors, because then we won't be able to make up stories about them anymore. I wonder what kind of stories they've concocted about Ken and I? Or maybe we're the only ones that "play" this game?

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Maybe your neighbors have been guessing about the two of you... Maybe they think that Ken left you, that a sad divorce is proceeding because you're always listening to all of his c.d.s, and that you could be depressed because you don't look well anymore .... always so tired, sick, and gaining weight.

HA, I should write for Days of Our Lives!

Amber said...

you guys are creep-o's! Just kidding. We spy watch our neighbors too.

Kat said...

This is a fun game. I loved your stories and Brenda's add on. :)

Sharon said...

Brenda: great story; you're obvioulsy good at this game too :)

Treasuring Life's Little Moments... said...

Congrats on the baby!!! YAY! We are so excited for you guys! I was cracking up reading your post about your neighbors...Rich always makes fun of me for doing that. Now I know I'm not the only weirdo! HA! I have a goal to take fresh, warm cookies to all my new neighbors and I never do so if you figure something out for 3 months later...let me know!