Sunday, February 14, 2010

Opinions Needed

Hand sanitizer: Necessity or Overkill?

I've always thought hand sanitizer was for camping and hiking. It has come in "handy" when I haven't been able to wash my hands, but that's about the limit of what I've used it for.

Now, however, Ken and I have been told by multiple people that we should carry sanitizer with us, and dole it out as a requirement to touch the baby. It seems a tad excessive to me, but maybe I'm naive?

So, taking a vote here: Is it really a necessity or overkill?

11 comments:

Kat said...

Hmmm...that's a tough one for me.

In general I think hand sanitizer is way overused, but it becomes a different subject when we are talking about brand spankin' new babies.

Especially during RSV (it can be just a mild cold in an adult but deadly for an infant) season I would make sure everyone washed their hands before holding the baby...but I didn't have Swine flu to think about back then. I also make it a point to wash my hands before I hold a little one. Some people don't get it though. :(

I'm not much help am I?

Vixie said...

With mine, I haven't worried about it, just not let strangers touch them. Generally I haven't used it much when my babies were small (as if they are so big now). I do keep it in my car so that after we play at the play structures or public/indoor playlands we can use it.

My kids have been summer/winter babies, maybe I should have been a little more worried, I don't know. They seem to be healthy for the most part. It is hard to tell if it is necessary or overkill, will we ever know? I am probably not much help either.

Amber said...

I do not think it is overkill, but that is coming from a nurse who uses it all the time. I think that you should always have some around just in case. What if you change a diaper in the car, or the bathroom you are in is out of soap? RSV is bad!! People will totally understand if you make them wash their hands or use hand sani before they touch the baby. I expect new mothers to make me use it, and if they don't, then I go wash my hands before I touch them. (But again, that might be the RN in me.) I used to even ask if people were sick before I let them hold Kylee. I guess you don't need hand sani, but I would make people wash their hands. Once they get sick, my first thought is "what did I touch?" or "did I forget to wash my hands? is that why they are sick?" Even if you aren't so strict, it will be okay. You'll know what the best thing will be to do for you and your family. And then, just stick with it.

Raina said...

Where have I been? You look fabulous.. and you're almost there!
As for the sanitizer.. .I'm with Vixie. I have it... I don't use it as much as other people do. I usually have it handy, and most people use it without me saying a word. My sister bought me a giant size.. and when it is sitting out... I tend to use it and other people see it.

Josh, Darci, & Ainsley Bentley said...

Hand sanitizer is really useful, especially when your no where close to a bathroom. Studies have show that hand sanitizer works just as good (and even better) than just soap and water. You need to get the right ones those. Just do a little research and see which ones are the best (the one you can get at walgreens are proven the best, and bath and body are the worst).

Plus your ARE the mommy and people need to follow YOUR rules! Sanitizer takes two seconds to use, if someone complains about using it, then they shouldnt be able to hold the baby! You dont want a sick baby! Good luck!

Michelle said...

I think it is a must with new babies. I'm guessing that once she is here and you have that overwhelming love for her you will want everyone to take as many precautions to keep her as safe and healthy as possible. I am so excited for you. It is such a special time.

Brenda said...

My second baby ended up in the hospital at 3 weeks old. As per best practice as of 7 years ago, any baby under 4 weeks who presented with a low-grade fever got the full hospital treatment AND a spinal tap. Lovely.

The pediatrician told me that 1 in 8 babies of that age with a low-grade fever as their ONLY symptom have something seriously wrong. The only way to tell is to admit and treat. That means a lot of babies are put through hospitalization/spinal tap who don't really need it yet cannot be assessed any other way.

Sooooo, it is not only good practice to use santitizer to help Wazel avoid the flu or RSV, but it is also good to avoid a situation in which the doctors have no other choice other than to use over-kill to make sure the illness isn't something like menangitis.

BTW, Abby had the flu and nothing more serious, but still, I wish I had not had a 3 week old with the flu. That in itself has risks.

I hope I didn't freak you out. I wasn't trying to give you a scary story. But, based on what we went through with her, I'd make everyone wash AND sanitize before holding.And, I wouldn't take her to church for a few months either.

BTW, I think you can get hospital-grade sanitizer that does a great job killing.

Kat said...

One more thought on hand sanitizer, A little girl here got alcohol poisoning from ingesting some scented sanitizer at school. They do make them that don't have alcohol and they won't dry your hands out as much either.

Kat said...

Oh, I definitely second the idea of having it on hand when soap and water are not available. Life saver in the car.

The Hyatt's said...

Sharon! You are almost there! Hang in there woman! You look amazing and we can't wait to meet her! As far as the hand sanitizer, I think most people that will want to hold the baby will wash their hands before doing so. Whenever we had people over and someone wanted to hold the baby they would be the one to say, "okay hold on let me just wash my hands." Most people get the whole new baby sanitary thing. If they don't offer, don't be afraid to ask them to wash their hands! They'll understand!

The Morriss Family said...

I do believe in regular hand washing with a newborn. I am a little less crazy with the hand sanitizer. I did ask family and friends to wash their hands. Just too many germs running around for a newly born immune system. I did cover the baby a lot when we would go out to keep the ooo-ing and ahhh-ing strangers at bay. Obviously, it's your call, you are the mom!! :)

I can't wait for you! Hang in there, it won't last forever, even though it feels that way some days. In the words of my grandma, "This too shall pass."