Sunday, May 3, 2009

Time Management

I think I've always been a fairly good manager of my time, but sometimes I think I take things a bit too far.  I noticed this the other day during my lunch at work.  I'm on salary, so I don't have to "watch" the clock for breaks, lunch, etc., but  I do end up watching the clock very closely most days (I'm not working a minute longer than I have to since I don't get paid for it).  I giggled when I realized I may be over-doing it just a bit.  It's lunch time so I bring my lunch to microwave, and as I'm getting it ready to microwave, I realize I also need to go to the bathroom, which happens to be right next to the kitchen.  So, I put the food in the microwave, set the timer for 1 minute, use the bathroom, and open the bathroom door just as the timer is going off on the microwave.  Time management at it's best!

But wait, there's more.  That same evening I'm lounging about watching TV and realize it's getting late (it's maybe 9:30 PM) and need to start getting ready for bed.  However, I don't want to miss any of the re-run of the sitcom I'm watching, so I can only use the commercials for taking out my contacts, brushing my teeth, etc.  It's  a challenge to get it all done during the commercials, especially considering that the commercial breaks aren't all the same length, so there's a bit of planning that needs to be done.   I've been doing this for years (I think this all started in grade-school), so I've pretty much got it down to a science by now.

I could go on and on about how I time manage:  stretching while I'm at the fax/ copy machine, putting away the clean dishes and packing my lunch while I'm eating breakfast, timing myself while cleaning the bathroom to see if I can beat my own time, etc.

But my question to you, the reader, is:  Is this weird?  Do other people do this?  or am I alone in my quirkish behavior? 

7 comments:

Kat said...

This made me smile. Because yes this has been part of you since the beginning of time. (At least since I can remember.) You've lived with me, so you probably know my answer already. However, I AM a better time manager than I used to be. Doesn't always work out how I time it..and that usually gets me grumpy...because now I have variables in the form of 5 kids and a husband. That's my challenge to time manage the whole herd.

Rebecca said...

I'm smiling too! I just think I'm a little weirder (is that a word?) cause it's a Schnell thing. In the morning, I am up and showered by 5am. I manage my morning routine by the 1/2 hour sitcoms that are on. When it's 5:30, I know that I have to be at a certain point in my routine. At 6am, I need to be close to getting in the car. Then there's the early morning office time management ritual before my staff arrives and that is a whole other story. Trust me you are not alone :)

The Barb Chronicles said...

it gets worse when you have kids. Now on commercial breaks, I fill bottles, change diapers and put to bed before the show comes back on. Going to the bathroom has new meaning, I can clean the counter and whip down the faucet while getting the "job" done! It's crazy, but i think it's a great use of time. Keep it up!

The Barb Chronicles said...

not "whip" the counters, wipe them. Great at spelling!

Amber said...

not weird at all. I feel like if I'm not doing 2 things at once or as fast as I can, then i'm doing it wrong. I LOVE to do things during the comercals. I feel like I am multitasking. Andy hates comercals and changes the channels while I am gone and then never tells me that the show is back on. I get so mad.

Brenda said...

I had to laugh when I read the microwaving/bathroom time management trick.

For me, I tend to get a little frazzled when I multitask like that (although I do fold laundry while watching Oprah and I get kids ready for bed during commercials).

Kids always constantly interrupt me, so if I am multitasking and then get interrupted, I get off track on TWO tasks. Grrrr.

Another problem: I've failed at trying to get my small children to do a task while I do another. For example, if we need to leave, I'll ask them to go get their shoes on (while I do some other task), with the hope that they actually will do as I say. What USUALLY happens is that they lollygag and I end up getting irritable because I've spent how much time nagging them. It would have been faster to just forget my own task and assist them with their shoes.

What does work is this: get my machines going and let them multitask for me. Washer. Dryer. Dishwasher. Crockpot. That way a whole punch of work is happening for me and my hands are free to do other things.

Brenda said...

that would be BUNCH of work. BUt I am sure you figured that out.