Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day

In observance of Memorial Day, I remember my grandparents.

. . . my Grandpa (Clark) Thornley (d. 1981) who served a mission in England and converted a mother, her daughter (Gladys) and her son; and who read me stories and took me on walks when I was little.

. . . my Grandma (Gladys) Thornley (d.1992) who joined the church in England as a young woman and came to America with her mother and brother to live with the Saints;  and who taught me how great it is to be an American.

. . . my Grandpa (LeRoy) Irish (d. 1998) who joined the church and married my grandma; and who taught me the value of keeping things looking good, in good condition, and organized.

. . . and my Grandma (Viola) Irish (d. 2005) who grew up in the Church and was a great example to me of service; and who taught me the value of working hard and laughing often.
I miss you guys!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Me too! Thanks a lot for making me sad! :) I frequently miss grandma A LOT! (And I was just thinking of Grandpa tonight as I was organizing my fruit room in my basement.)

On another somewhat-related subject, I have grandma's old paper-plate baskets that we used at events at her house (to make flimsy paper plates strong and easy to handle). I am getting rid of them since I have not used them in the 5 or more years I have had them. Will you put an ad in your family newsletter to see if anyone wants them before I give them to the DI? Thanks!

Rebecca said...

Great post, Sharon :) such sweet thoughts and wonderful faces.

Kristin and Alyssa said...

That was really nice. Thanks for sharing.

Kat said...

A great heritage! :)