Well, 4 months of Grand Jury duty are finally to an end. I'm so excited to stop working 4, 10-hr shifts every week so that I can have Thursdays off for Jury duty; I'm happy to stop hearing about the drunk and stupid things that people do in Coconino County; but I am just a tad sad to get that weekly break from work. In honor of my last day, I wrote "Ode to Grand Jury Duty". It's probably funnier for those that served with me, but hopefully you can all appreciate a bit of what I've been dealing with for the last 4 months.
"A letter in the mail, a day in the court, we all gave our excuses, the judge she did sort.
At last the process was done and 16 jurors were selected that day;
A four-month commitment was made we and we started our Grand Jury foray.
The AZ Law manual was read; thank goodness it doesn't have to stay in our head.
One after another the cases did come, an average of 14 a day until we're done.
A summary of cases brought to be, assualt, drugs and burglary.
Lots of cases of DUI's; too many people with red watery eyes.
100s of pounds of marijuana travel through our state; DPS officers help drug traffickers meet their fate.
The accused pays of court fines, oh but wait, "that credit card wasn't mine".
The re-po officer trying to get back a car; ramming into the car, I think she went a bit too far.
Important questions asked by the jurors were, "how old were they?" and "what kind of beer?".
We've learned a lot about what not to do, but now that it's over, "What are we to do?"."
I even got a certificate of completion, (but I couldn't figure out how to rotate it).
3 comments:
Yeah! I'm glad you 'graduated' I bet that was an eye opening experience. I got to go to court with Emily's class...just one day last year for a couple of hours and it was mind boggling the trouble people get in. All but one case was drug related. :( So glad I've never been there for real...
Finally! I'm so proud of you. That is such a sacrifice. Good job, and thanks for being such a model citizen.
I think the certificates are the best! I just got done 2 weeks ago from serving on the jury for the Jessica Riggins Murder trial....that was Tuesday-Friday everyday for 2 months....So I know the feelings!!.....I also was graced with a certificate...made it all worth it haha
Post a Comment