Sunday, October 10, 2010

It is what it is . . .

To borrow a phrase from a blogging friend (who I soon get to meet) . . . It is what it is.

My under-achieving thyroid is kicking my butt. A normal thyroid level is in the range of 1-4; a "normal" hypo-thyroid is 7 or higher. Mine is at 154. I think my Dr. was a bit surprised that I was still functioning.

When the Dr. told me it will take 6-8 weeks for the meds to kick in, I wondered if that meant that my symptoms would get worse before they got better. I'm beginning to think my hypothesis is correct, as more and more symptoms manifest themselves - intolerance to cold, achy muscles, headaches. I'm hoping that some of the other symptoms, like depression and weight gain, don't come to visit.

But, it is what it is. And I know that it is only for a "moment" and then things will get better. In the meantime, Ken affectionately calls me "hypo" and is very patient with me as I forget everything.

And on a completely different topic (since that is how my mind works): Yesterday I was grocery shopping with Amelia. As I was unloading the groceries from the cart into our car, I was holding the grocery cart with my foot so that the cart wouldn't roll away. When suddenly I had the sensation that the cart was no longer on my foot. I looked up to see the cart, with Amelia in it, rolling away from the car. I ran after it (thank goodness it didn't roll too quickly, or into a car, etc); when I reached the cart (only a yard or so away), I looked up to see a lady watching and smiling. I just smiled back at the lady and asked Amelia if she had enjoyed the ride - she just smiled back at me, so I figured all was well.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

(Does Amelia need a helmet for grocery outings?)

I'm sorry about the runaway cart AND thyroid. It is what it is.... and it STINKS, right?

Hang in there. I'm sure Ken is taking good care of his hypo. Sending lots of prayers and e-hugs.

Becky said...

Hey If You Guys Need Help Packing...PLEASE Let Me Know! We Would Be MORE Than Happy To Help...and I Have 2 Great Entertainers For The Litte Munchkin!...SERIOUSLY!

Michelle said...

I have an underactive thyroid and it can be hard but one it's under control it's no problem. I hope your meds help soon!