Two months ago when I went back to work (wow, I can't believe it's been two months), we had to start giving Amelia a bottle during the time I was at work because I just didn't produce enough milk when I pumped.
A few weeks ago, Amelia became even more social and had a hard time focusing while breastfeeding. This came to a head while we were at the family reunion in UT last week. Who wants to eat when there are so many new people/ places to look at? Apparently just eating a little bit from the breast is bad - that and a few other conditions resulted in a mild case of mastitis. By the way, I'm a firm believer of using cabbage leaves to help the mastitis - don't know how it works, but it does.
And then there is the inconvenience of pumping at work and the minimal quantity produced lately - it doesn't seem to make it worth the hassle.
But even with all the above reasons, I'm not sure I'm ready to stop. I seem to only have enough milk for Amelia in the middle of the night, but that is exactly what I don't want to stop. I love bonding with my baby, in the night. Sure I can give her a bottle . . . and better yet, Ken can give her a bottle in the middle of the night, but I'll be sad to end this experience.
I have really enjoyed nursing Amelia (even when it was so painful in the beginning). I know some people have told me it just wasn't their thing. But even when it took up long hours of my day, it seemed time well spent. So I guess for now, it will come to an end, but I can look forward to repeating the experience, perhaps, with baby #2 - if and when that happens.
3 comments:
I completely understand your mixed emotions. It was always a very hard thing for me to do, to stop nursing. If the night nursing is what you don't want to stop, I would not stop it. Let her have bottles all day and just nurse at night, then you do still get that bonding time.
I had a similar predicament with kid #1. It isn't an easy choice, for sure.
Oh I agree with Vixie. *sniff*
Post a Comment