Sunday, October 11, 2009

Distaste for Clothes Shopping

I can count on one hand the times in my life when I have tolerated clothes shopping: 1- when I was young and it wasn't my money that was being spent and 2- when I was single and rich and I could afford to shop at Nordstrom - letting them do the work for me and all I had to do was pay the bill.

But those days are gone, and I am back to disliking shopping for clothes. The reasons for my dislike vary: I either have no money, no time, no fashion sense or no trust in the little fashion sense I have, no luck in finding what I'm specifically looking for, nothing that fits, or any combination of the above.

My dislike for shopping has been front and center in my life in the last month or so as I have struggled to find clothes that will fit my growing pregnant body. I see other pregnant women in town, and they're all wearing clothes, so I assume it shouldn't be too difficult to find something for me to wear. However, when I go into stores to shop, it becomes a struggle. Perhaps the stores don't have a maternity section, so I wander through the regular sections, hoping I will find something that will work. Some stores have maternity sections, with 5-6 items to choose from, with 2-3 styles, just in different colors. I try to go with an open mind. I even try on items that I think are ugly, hoping that they'll look okay on me. But no luck!

I have come to a few conclusions: Pregnant women in Flagstaff must buy their clothes somewhere other than Flagstaff. Most pregnant women must always be hot, even in the winter, because it's next to impossible to find shirts with long sleeves. Most pregnant women must have a figure that can accommodate the current style of clothes - my body does not. I am used to form fitting clothes, and feel like I'm wearing a giant's clothes when I try on the clothes I am finding (even the non-maternity ones).

Ken says I should just wear whatever fits, regardless of style, color, or whether or not it's appropriate for the workplace. He says I should just say "hey, I'm pregnant, this is all that will fit". Maybe he's right. I'll stop being so proud. So, if you see me wearing ugly, mis-fitting clothes, please just smile and nod and know that I think it's as ugly and mis-fitting as you do.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

I feel your pain. I have a hard time finding well-fitting clothing on days when the scale smiles at me, never mind being pregnant. But, I can say this: I've had 2 winter babies and I was HOT a lot. I'd rather wear a short sleeved shirt with a sweater that could be removed rather than a long-sleeved shirt that must stay on all day. Good luck.

Brenda said...

And one more thing.... I wasn't a big fan of form fitting clothing while pregnant. When I hit the gianormous stage, I was grateful to wear anything that didn't restrict me.

Sharon said...

Brenda - thanks for the advice about the sweater. And yes, you're probably right -I should be looking for loose comfortable clothes and remember that I will be growing into it.

Michelle and Cole said...

Flagstaff is the hardest place to find maternity clothes. I would highly recommend going to Phoenix to the Motherhood store. They have a lot of clothes and the are pretty cute. They also have pants with a waistband that is nylon and is so comfortable. They were the only thing I could stand wearing at the end because I carried so low.

Kat said...

I second the thoughts about trying to find something that fits and you like. Very frustrating. My advice though is don't give up. Try to find something you do feel good in. Maybe a road trip IS in order. :)