Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Dream Come True


I love music, I love to sing, and I've always loved to be on stage (whether real or only in my head).  And somewhere along the way, I thought "wouldn't it be way cool to be a back-up singer for a band someday?"  I have an okay voice, but definitely not solo quality; so I thought, a back-up singer would be perfect.  I could be on-stage singing, but wouldn't feel the pressure of doing a solo.  However, I had no idea how one becomes a back-up singer, and so I let my dream linger in the back of my mind, hoping that someday it would just happen.  And there my dream has sat, until a few wonderful years ago, when I married a drummer, a man who was involved in multiple bands.  "Here's my chance", I thought.  I was even brave enough to tell the man of my dreams, my dream.  But his bands were already put together, and there wasn't much need for a back-up singer.  And so I waited and wondered if I'd ever have a chance to live my dream.  And then it happened - Ken came home from a band practice and announced that the lead singer thought it would be cool to have back-up singers for 2 of the songs they were performing.  Wow - it was finally going to happen and I couldn't believe it.  After a few practices, the "Heartletts" were ready to sing back-up for "Ten Percent", at our ward's Valentines Day Dance.



We sang "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd and "Running on Faith" by Eric Clapton - it was a blast and sounded great.  We tried video taping the concert, but our video tape ran out before our big numbers, so you'll just have to image four lovely ladies singing back-up to an awesome band.  Ken says maybe I'll have another chance someday to sing back-up and we can record that, but I think it's wishful thinking that I'd get 2 chances to live my dream.



5 comments:

Kat said...

Way to go Sharon for living your dream! And you look hot too! :)

Amber said...

Happy Valentines day! I'm so so so sad that I missed it. Way to go Sharon!

Tiffany said...

Dang - I thought for sure there would have been a video! I bet it was great! We couldn't find a sitter darn it.

Nice leather pants - Happy Valentines Day!

The Barb Chronicles said...

I wish we could have been there, looks like you had enough fun for the two of us!

Kristin and Alyssa said...

Last time I saw you where those pants we went and listened to one of Ken's band...glad you got to use them again. How fun!!!! I'm sure it was great!!