A Flagstaff tradition is the annual Pine Cone Drop - similar to the ball dropping on Times Square in New York. Ken and I decided to go this year, even though it was below freezing outside - we just bundled up (I was wearing just about 2 of everything). Since many of you know I'm not exactly a night person, I was happy to attend the earlier of the two Pine Cone Drops. (They do one at 10pm and one at midnight.)

The "Pine Cone" is made of aluminum, is approximately 6 feet tall, and is decorated with lights, which flashed as it started its drop.


There were a lot of people there, braving the cold. We ran into my boss and our friends, Andy & Amber (Kylee was soundly sleeping). They even had a band, which Ken was excited to watch - of course he would have been happier if he had actually been playing the gig.

And they had fireworks after the ball dropped. It's a great idea, because the 4th of July fireworks always get cancelled due to dry weather. And with all the snow we've had lately, it's certainly not dry. We video-taped the "drop" with our camera, but forgot that you can't rotate video like you can pictures - so you'll have to turn your head to watch the pine cone. Happy New Year. Here's to a great year ahead!
3 comments:
Great video! It was like I was actually there! That is so funny that Ken got us kissing!
This is too funny!!! Happy New Year!
How Hillarious!! We were going to go too, but we didn't have a sitter and B had to work in the morning. We were actually in bed before the 10 o'clock drop. So sad.
Happy New Year!
Post a Comment